Monday, March 23, 2015

Reuben Sandwich Muffins



This muffin was inspired by the Corned Beef left overs I had this week.  I cooked up a nice one in  crockpot last week, and had quite a bit left over.  When Corned Beef goes on sale the week of St. Patrick's day, I always buy one or two. It has become a seasonal treat the way turkey is at Thanksgiving time. One of Steve's favorite sandwiches is the Reuben Sandwich, which is reason number #2 for this muffin. I was looking at my left over Corned Beef and thought why not a Reuben Sandwich in Muffin format.  So here they are.  They turned out delicious, and were very good served with potato salad.






Begin by gathering your ingredients:

2 cups Corned Beef cooked and chopped
8 oz of Sauerkraut, well drained.

10 oz  Swiss, Provolone or Monterey Jack Cheese (this will be 2-3 cups shredded)

1/4 cup finely chopped onions


One recipe for 24 rolls (For this I used Rhodes frozen dough/rolls).  You will be using 2 rolls for each muffin. Stretch and roll each piece of dough flat to where it is about 4 inches across its base.


 Corned Beef for your first layer.


Top with minced onion.  I added onion to these, because I love the little bit of onion flavor and crunch added to it.  I realize it isn't typically used in a Reuben Sandwich, so put it on or leave it off as you like.


Next  a layer of Sauerkraut.



Finally top with cheese.



You can adjust the amounts as you like, but don't be shy, put as much as you can get on them.

Take another rolled out piece of dough...

...and place on top of the filling.


It will look a little like hamburger buns at this point.


You will bring the muffin together by stretching the top dough over the bottom dough….


… tucking it underneath little by little….



...as you go around the muffin...


….until it is evenly tucked in underneath the entire muffin. 


 It will look like this.


Place it in a well greased muffin pan.



Fill pan entirely and allow to rise about 30 minutes.


Bake at 350 degrees 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.


Allow to cool slightly and then place into a nice serving bowl.


We like it served with mustard, but if you like it with Russian dressing as is traditionally done; by all means serve it  that way. 


Reuben Sandwich Muffins

Ingredients:
Bread dough: 24 frozen dinner rolls (about 2 1/2 pounds)
2 cups chopped, sliced or shredded Corned Beef (already cooked)
8 oz Sauerkraut (well drained)
1/4 cup diced onion
10 oz Cheese such as Swiss, Provolone or Mozerella, shredded


Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Begin by thawing dough if it is frozen.
  3. Stretch and roll out the rolls until they are 3-4 inches across.
  4. Layer the ingredients on top of 12 of the rolls as follows: beef, onion, sauerkraut, cheese.
  5. Place a second piece of flattened dough on top.
  6. Seal together into one muffin, by stretching the top dough around and behind the bottom dough until you have evenly tucked it under the entire muffin.  You should have a roll shape. See pictures above for example.
  7. Place into a 12 cup muffin pan.
  8. Allow rolls to raise 30 minutes.
  9. Bake 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
  10. Allow to cool about 5 minutes, then remove from muffin tin and serve.



Enjoy!


10 comments:

  1. Ooooh, my hubby would love these!!

    By the way... I've been enjoying the vast array of muffins you've been sharing this month. It's been so great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about making me HUNGRY all over again haha! They were unforgettable Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great but I'm not sure what we call Cornered Beef. We do have Corned Beef but it doesn't look like what is in your picture! Anyway, I'm sure I can add something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your muffin meals all look so wonderful!! Your family is so spoiled with all your yummy food!!! (I am sure they know it.) Hugs to you, sweet friend. With love, Camille

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am totally doing this with my leftover corned beef this weekend. They look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat idea! I need to try these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bevy, Elizabeth, Kirsteen, Camille and Maryann and Renee; I appreciate all of your comments; thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Ruebens, they are my favorite!

    Yum-Yum! I would have to find a yeast free version for the muffin part, since I am having some issues with all that right now. But, these look amazing my friend!

    I hope you are having a wonderful day!

    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would use rye flour and add some caraway seeds.

    ReplyDelete